Tuesday, June 28, 2011

SHADE OF THE MAGNOLIA

I have to admit, I have been putting off my reading this past week and a half. For good reasons though, I believe. I've had to work and naturally, after work, I must go running or swimming at the beach, or both...dinner inevitably follows and beer/wine and merriment with island friends occurs...and so is the vicious cycle of island life. Woah is me....

Well, I came back to Wilmington (the real world) last night and picked up the The Help which I've been lugging around with me everywhere. Pitifully, I found I was no further along than chapter 3. I had this big old house to myself today so I put on my bikini, hat, and set myself on a chaise next to the pool and dove in (to my book)... 

I love so many aspects of this book so far. I love how it makes you think about so many variations of people's upbringings, and what makes them who they/we are. Kathryn Stockett has done a truly phenomenal job creating unique and strong voices for every character in the book thus far. I feel like I am seeing through each character's eyes in every chapter. I feel like half the reason I get annoyed with a lot of books is the fact that a lot of authors impose themselves in their characters, and it can oftentimes seem too transparent. Anyway, that was one of the first things I noticed when reading it this afternoon while soaking in my own sweat in this 100 percent humidity, 90 something degree weather. I didn't want to put the book down, thinking to myself, "Okay, after this paragraph, I'll jump in the pool and then finish the chapter." And that's exactly what I did. 


This book, I am finding, has so many layers and makes me think about everything. Of course, spending the summer in an old historic home in downtown Wilmington probably helps set a thoughtful stage as well. While I'm reading at the head of the old pool, I look up at the house. It's old second floor balcony slightly tilted from time. The grey-blue paint is trying so hard not to crack and flake off. And right in front of it stands a majestic old magnolia tree. Spring has passed and its gorgeous white blooms are all gone, but just thinking about it, how old is that tree? This home is big, beautiful, with a red door, and boasts creeky wooden floors. My cousin and aunt say they've seen a ghost that haunts the downstairs guest room, but apparently "keeps to herself." Who has lived here? I know who built the house in 1875, a german couple who owned a local grocery store and the husband was an alderman, based on the information provided by the historic plaque outside, but what about the help who lived here? Did they have help? That is something I'm going to look into researching this week. I don't have a photo of the house, but here is a photo of the Cape Fear River Wilmington rests upon. I go running on this boardwalk whenever I'm in town, as it's only a stone's throw from the house I am staying at with my family.




Also, if you've gotten to chapter 8, I've set up a little personal assignment for myself. You're encouraged to join me if you'd like. Back in chapter 2, Aibileen mentions how she writes down her prayers everyday. That seems like such a good idea. Whether you're religious or not, I feel like it would be a fun thing to try and see how it turns out. Also, Miss Skeeter is asked to write about things that really bother her. I think I'm going to use a fresh journal as a reflection/prayer book. I've never been much of a journal keeper, but I think the idea of praying for people and sending love their way through your own personal writing sounds like an intriguing thing, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment